Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Bible Stories and Prostitutes

This is how you can tell if your child really is absorbing those precious moments of reading the Bible together each night before bed.
Scenario: After school, Grace and pal playing, I'm making lunch

Grace: okay, so you be the one that crushes the baby and takes mine.
Pal: okay Grace (in a southern accent, no idea where she picked it up)
Grace lays down with her baby and pretends to sleep while her pal rolls over her own baby doll and comes to take Graces. She snatches Grace's baby and runs off.
Grace wakes up and cries in a horror that only a mother could understand, "My baby is smashed!! Wait! This is not my baby! I must tell the King..."
She runs off and I hear then in her room going to the King (Solomon for those of you who are not familiar with this story From 1Kings3:16-28) and he (grace) informs them that he will cut the baby in half so that they each get a piece.
Grace feeds each line to her pal.
Pal: it's my baby!
G: no it's mine and she smashed hers!
Grace as King: then I will cut up your baby like a half and you both get it.
Pal via Grace: Yeah
Grace: NO!! please don't hurt my baby. give her away, but don't hurt her!! (sobs)
King: NO! she is the real mother. Guards, take this bad lady away and do not hurt the baby!
Pal: but Grace, now I don't get a baby and you do!
Grace: well then don't smash your baby next time.
Pal: well that's not fair!
Grace: here you can have your smashed baby back and we can pretend she isn't smashed anymore.
Pal:...ok.
And Scene.
I love that my kid knows Bible stories well enough to make them apart of her everyday thought life. It is a little unnerving that she chose one of the most dark and morbid stories she knows though. Obviously she has no idea that they are prostitutes, but I loved calling my friend and telling her that her daughter was pretending to be a baby mashing prostitute. Oh the innocence of childhood!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. it's about time. cyberspace has been oh-so-lonely.

2. HILARIOUS story.

3. "pal" seems like she must be amazing. and come from an amazing family.

Kim Tostada said...

that is a funny story... I'm looking forward to what kind of things are kids are going to say and do.