Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree

Last night at Grace's Back to School Night, her teacher told a story about the students helping each other. She was explaining that she will always help the kids with things, but wants them to try it on thier own first.
She said that one student was really struggling and that they kept asking for the teacher to come do it for them but she kept asking them to try it on thier own.
Well, another student decided that she should step in and help. So she marched over the sad student and proceeded to "help" them with their work.
That was Grace. The helper.
She is so Eric and I.
We are both take charge, help others people.
Only, we are usually in charge and have been called to jobs that require us to step in when someone is struggling.
I love that Grace was being helpful, but I also blushed a little that it was my kid that decided that she had to take over for the teacher.
Grace is rarely malicious, but often bossy and dominating.
Afterward I was talking to her teacher about it and she said, "Grace will be fine as long as we can teach her the difference between being a leader and just another bossy broad."
That's my kid, the bossy broad (for now).
She gets that from Eric.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's adorable. i wonder how much of the 'helper' and 'bossy' attributes are a part of being first-born?? like you say, it is not malicious, it is trying to step up and help and make things happen. I'd call that: initiative!!

Brooke said...

OK Bea, I was looking at someone else's blog and found yours! hooray! you're a very funny writer; I feel the same way about many of the things you were talking about.
The Toys R Us experience: For me it's The Container Store... oh my... it's terrible. Outrageously priced stuff that you really don't need but here it is, all shiny and cool and new... and suddenly your own "get by" crud at home is making you feel less than. It's terrible. I hate that stuff in stores makes me feel a certain way- it's doesn't need to; if I didn't let it, you know???

Eric Wakeling said...

It's been a week since we have had a post my precious wife. I love your blog so much. PERSEVERE!!