Monday, September 24, 2007

Carnivores 101

I like meat.
I'm not ashamed to admit it or enjoy a good steak or some yummy seafood.
Grace is a very...inconsistent eater. She likes most everything, it's just getting her to stop moving her mouth long enough to actually get food from the plate to her belly that is very difficult.
So we went to Ruby's.
Grace
Ella
Me
and my sister, Michelle
We are eating our food and chatting happily.
Grace eat your chicken (which is a plain chicken breast chopped up and some apples)
She continues to chat
Grace eat your chicken please.
More chatting.
GG (that's our nickname from "Gracie Girl"), honey, I need you to eat your lunch please.
More chatting.
Grace. Please eat some chicken now.
Okay mom. (she picks up a piece and begins to inspect it)
She then holds up the piece of chicken breast and says,
"Why did they kill this chicken for me to eat?"
I stare frozen in a carnivorous moment of space and time.
Michelle has to turn away.
I say, "that chicken or any chicken?"
(the reason I asked, was to A. allow myself more time to formulate an answer and B. to make sure I am answering the right question. Kind of like when your kid asks where babies come from and all they really want you to say is from a mommy's tummy and not info on the birds and the bees)
she says any chicken.
I say, "well, God made all of the animals for us to take care of but also to eat. Chicken is good for you."
She says, Oh, vegetables are good for you too.
Yes, they are.
Yeah, but you don't have to kill vegetables.
Nope...
I breath a sigh of relief hoping that I have answered the question "properly" in her terms.
A couple nights later we are having more chicken. She picks up a piece of chicken breast that is pointy and asks, "is this the beak?"
I have never felt so guilty for eating meat!
She has completely changed the way I eat because every time I eat meat of any kind now, I think about what it looked like whole and picture her voice asking why we killed these animals to eat them.
But the sound of a steak right now sounds amazing, so I guess I'm not completely ruined.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, this reminds me of the girl in Notting Hill who comes for dinner, and then they find out that she is a "fruitarian." At least she doesn't think that your veggies have been murdered:).

I love your kid. She is hilarious. And reminds me of her crazy mother.

Brooke said...

oh my gosh... isn't she such a 'thinker'?? how funny... isn't that one of the best parts about being a parent- to see and hear all of the funny things they go through as they turn into people?? i really enjoy reading your blog; it's funny but smart- very interesting.
thanks for sharing.